Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	8976

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubbo-Open-Range-Zoo3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	8977

Clicked the 'Post' button before I typed the following
    Iimages 1 and 2 are taken through the glass security screens in the viewing bay. Glare, reflections and refraction are just 3 of the challenges in getting sharp focus.

Bob
    Last edited by oldgreybeard; 23rd July 2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Great work, Bob. I would never have guessed the first two were through a glass screen, they are so clear. Camera pressed against glass, post processing, or did you previously work as a window cleaner?

Cheers, Gary

Comment

Hi Gary
        Thanks for the comments - my wife will confirm that I have never been guilty of cleaning windows

Having the lens reasonably close to the window does help in reducing refections and glare to some extent, but I would not press the lens against the glass as I find that manual focusing is frequently required. My experience suggests that having the plane of the image sensor parrellel to the window pane is more important than whether the lens is against the glass or 200mm away. My other concern is to keep the lens axis perpendicular to the window and at the same height as the focus point. In image 2 the whiskers on the left side of the image were the focus point and the camera to ground height was about 250mm.

Major problems are soft focus due to shooting through the window glass and colour shifts due to refraction and /or dirty glass.The editing process is frequently complicated by the fact that the window glass is not optical quality and the dirt marks (notably kids hand prints) are not evenly distributed across the window. Targeted adjustments along with advanced Photoshop techniques and layer blending skills are used on most images. In these images I used a sharpening technique developed by Dan Margulis (USA) and known as 'Halo mapping' . The technique comprises over 50 steps, but the results in producing such fine detail IMO make the effort worthwhile.

Looking forward to seing your next homework assignment

Bob

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic images from behind glass Bob, you should be very proud of the PP work you put into them. Personally, I don't bother to shoot anything that's behind glass anymore as my results are always disappointing. Again, well done.

Thanks John

Comment

Working...
        X