Aurora Australis - Tinderbox, Tasmania

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora Australis - Tinderbox, Tasmania

Seeing I requested this sub-forum (Thanks John), I had better kick it off with a contribution.

From my study of the indicators I figured an aurora would be visible when darkness fell during/after blue hour, so I set off last in search of a cloud free southern view. Unfortunately the cloud didn't play ball until around 2:45am when this window to the heavens opened up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tinderbox20170302(1024)-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	210.7 KB ID:	4418
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KevM; 9th March 2017, 12:47 PM.

Wow Kev, very spectacular.
    I am yet to see the Aurora with my own eyes.
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwood View Post
      Wow Kev, very spectacular.
      I am yet to see the Aurora with my own eyes.
      Thanks Brad, It was great to get out and capture this after a drought for me of some 4 months since my last really great night out. Please bear in mind that what we see through a camera with a timed exposure is immensely stronger than what we see naked eye. The green colours were vaguely distinguishable with the faintest pink at times. Most of the time we only see shades of grey/white due to our eyes lacking colour receptors for low light situations.

Camera: Canon 6D
      Lens: Samyang 20mm f1.8
      Settings: f1.8, ISO 3200, 6 sec.

Comment

Thanks for the insight Kev, very interesting.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Great image Kev, and I see you've got the hang of uploading images. I have a 7D and find it a bit noisy when pushing the ISO, how does the 6D handle the higher ISO settings?
          I have many questions regarding night photography, so I hope you are patient man?

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy John View Post
            Great image Kev, and I see you've got the hang of uploading images. I have a 7D and find it a bit noisy when pushing the ISO, how does the 6D handle the higher ISO settings?
            I have many questions regarding night photography, so I hope you are patient man?
            I think I now may have a handle on uploading images.

The 7D like my first camera (70D) are both crop sensors so they will always be less able to handle the lower light situations calling for higher ISO settings. There are better low light cameras around than the 6D but they come at a premium in cost. A wider aperture lens will also help.

Comment

Working...
            X