Is there any other way?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any other way?

In 1956 my father showed me how to process film and print photographs. For those who have done this, they will know what a magical moment it is to see the chemistry do its work. The first image I printed was of my pet rabbit standing under the clothesline in my yard. We ate the rabbit but I kept the photo to remind me of what a tasty stew it made. That's what photos do.

I don't have that photo anymore, nor the negative from which it came. I just have the memory. I still like rabbit stew.

Since then I've processed pretty much everything I've ever shot. Monochrome seems appropriate for almost all my photos. I concern myself less with the technical details or the appeal to others. My purpose is multi-faceted. There may be a story to be told, a subject to describe, an event to be explained, a document to be produced, a point to be made.

I do tend to talk a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5965 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	7024
    Be patient. I'm working on it.

Hi Dingo, welcome to our little forum . As you have noticed it is pretty quite around here, I hope you can wake the place up.

I was lucky to have a school teacher when I was in grade 4 or 5 that was interested in photography, he set up a darkroom in the school storeroom and took a few of us under his wing, us kids had to buy a Kodak 110 to be part of the group, we learnt how to develop our films, and print the photos, all B&W. I still have some of the photos somewhere. I only shoot digital now.

I mainly shoot macro insects and wildlife that lives in the bush around my house. Though I still love B&W for a lot of the other stuff I do.

Name:	DSC_9376.jpg
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	7040
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Hello Dingo and welcome to our forum. I really like your pictures and love black and white , although the Mansion in colour is superb. I hope you will enter our little forum with something taken according to the rules. I'm not sure if you are that sort of person !! I like to look at my pictures and also enjoy the memory and not be too fussy about too much technicality. Regards Dee Kay.

Comment

• the dingo
        the dingo commented
        Editing a comment
        what rules? Was there a procedure for taking photos? The use of the word 'although' indicates I might have said something I shouldn't have. Help me out here. My manners are atrocious

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	7059
      Originally posted by Ironwood View Post
      Hi Dingo, welcome to our little forum . As you have noticed it is pretty quite around here, I hope you can wake the place up.

I was lucky to have a school teacher when I was in grade 4 or 5 that was interested in photography, he set up a darkroom in the school storeroom and took a few of us under his wing, us kids had to buy a Kodak 110 to be part of the group, we learnt how to develop our films, and print the photos, all B&W. I still have some of the photos somewhere. I only shoot digital now.

I mainly shoot macro insects and wildlife that lives in the bush around my house. Though I still love B&W for a lot of the other stuff I do.
      I like small groups. Too much input from too many people can be counter-productive. The trouble is sorting the facts from fantasy. Everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it. The Internet provides a place for them to state it without being challenged. I'm happy to be challenged. I'm also happy to challenge others.

anyway, we'll see how we go. I'll be gentle.

Be patient. I'm working on it.

Comment

• dee kay
        dee kay commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Dingo was only having a dig!!! You don't seem the sensitive type. The only rules for the weekly comp is that the photo should be of the subject and to have been taken during that week. As for all the other pics please keep them coming with the banter of course.

Welcome, I too was introduced to photography by my father in the early 1950s. We set up a 'portable' darkroom in the bathroom and used a Kodak Brownie camera. Later I had my own well equipped darkroom with the 5 x 4 Enlarger being my pride and joy along with a Linhof Technica and Hasselblad cameras. I bought my first real digital camera (Nikon D100) in 2004 and now a team of wild horses could not drag me back into the darkroom.

From your comments, I assume you are still using film and processing it yourself. Do you scan the negatives to produce your digital images or scan a print? I would be interested in hearing a bit about your equipment and procedures to produce the digital B&W images.

Bob

Comment

• the dingo
        the dingo commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Bob.

No, I'm not an analog user. I bought my first digital in 1999 and have never looked back; well, occasionally. I did meet my first girlfriend in a darkroom.
    Working...
    X