DIY Flash Extender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Flash Extender

Since there has been some talk of building a flash extender, I thought it would be best if there was a dedicated thread for it so that all the info was kept together in one thread, so it can easily be found later on.

There are a few online tutorials on building one, here is one that I thought might be helpful.

http://therovingphotographer.com/201...lash-extender/

If you find any more that you think are worth looking at, please post the links into this thread.
    Cheers, Brad.

Good one, Brad. This is the link to the one that impressed me the most - time will tell. I will be using this for Mk1 - let's hope there is no need for Marks 2 to 20.

http://digitalbirdphotography.com/4.3.html

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an informative article you linked there Gary.

Well I'm still working on it. My Mark 1 cost a princely five dollars ($2 for the fresnel sheet and $3 for the coreflute). A trial run (who would photograph a brick wall in the middle of the night?) to see what difference the flash extender made looks OK. Now I have to find something up a tree in poor light to see if I fluked it, or am just kidding myself. Even if it turns out unsuccessful it has been an interesting exercise, and I will try again with different measurements. So far, here's where it's at:

Lens is 150x100mm cut from the A4 fresnel sheet
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Beamer 4_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	7581

The body is 300mm long and distance from front of flash to fresnel is 220mm.

Name:	Beamer 3_1.JPG
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	7580

The "subject" at about 12 metres with 1/4 power flash and no extender

Name:	Beamer 1 off_1.JPG
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	7582

And with the extender fitted