Understanding your camera - Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding your camera - Part 1

The pdf file containg the notes and exercises for part 1 is attached. When you open the file, you should be able to save it on your computer, etc.
    If you have not already done so, you should read the other topics in this thread - "A message from Bob" and "January Reading List"

If you have any questions regarding Part 1, please post them as a comment to this post - please do not start a new topic as that will be come quite confusing as we progress through the course as 10 parts are planned.
    When posting your images, please "reply" to this post.

Some of you may be using smart phones which may not have all the features of a DSLR. In Part 1 we will look at the 3 common exposure metering modes used in a DSLR. If your smart phone only has one metering option, that is fine, Just complete the excercises using that mode - the main oint of the excercises if for you to understand how your camera performs under diferent lighting conditions.

Cheers
    Bob

UYC-Pt1.pdf

Well done Bob. Excellent .pdf

Cheers - Neil

Comment

Thanks, Neil

Cheers, Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
        looking forward to checking this course out all the best
        cheers
        Robert

Comment

• oldgreybeard
          oldgreybeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome back to the forum, Robert. I'm looking forward to seeing your photography develop over the next 12 months
          Cheers,
          Bob

Many thanks for the worksheet.
        Kind regards,
        Dennis

Comment

Welcome Dennis. I hope you enjoy the course.
          Bob

Comment

Great start, Bob. Haven't done my homework yet, but am reading and re-reading before starting. The pdf notes are fantastic- already printed your first lot for the start of my bound booklet.

Thanks, Gary H

Comment

Hi Gary, This lot of reading should be a soda after the manual

Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

Well the first week is done and I expect you are now starting to get out and practising the evaluation and visualisation process.

I was discussing the course with a colleague (we will call him Joe) yesterday and recalling our experiences when starting our first photography courses. A comment which I want to share with you is to break the process into manageable pieces. Joe's comment was that trying to concentrate on the whole process on the first outing, just did not work for him. His solution was to concentrate on say highlights and shadows on the first few outings. Then add mid-tones for the next couple of outings. By the end of the week he was comfortable with assessing the scene and could then start to consider how he might capture the image.
                Joe found visualisation very difficult as he didn't understand how his camera worked - he missed the point that you should only be trying to visualise what the image might look like. Subsequent lessons will teach you how to make that image; at this stage you should be trying to create an image in your mind where you see the main feature of the image, the highlights, shadows, mid-tones, and where the light is coming from.

Maybe you will find Joe's approach helpful. If you find another method that works for you, please post it on the forum - it may also help others.

Cheers

Bob
                Last edited by oldgreybeard; 9th February 2018, 09:51 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                X