Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with choosing a Camera

Hi there everyone

I have just retired and would like to purchase a good quality camera for some travelling.

I know nothing about cameras apart from what I have read on the internet and the camera on my mobile phone.

I have read about DSLR's and they seem a wonderful camera with interchangeable lens to obtain the most pristine photos, but I also understand they can be rather largish and heavier. I also understand that they are more for professionals and there are a lot more manual adjustments available.

I will also be taking the Camera on overseas trips

They are probably not suited for me ( i don't know your thoughts)

What I would like to do is take scenery as well as close up, (which i believe would require changing lenses, I got no prob with that) I would also like to be able to download to media (to my iPad pro so as I can email photos to my family and of course this great forum.

I would also like to be able to reduce the size of photos so I can export them across the media and they are not megabytes in size and slowdown the transfer rate.

I have recently been looking at a mirror less cameras (your opinions please) One that has caught my eye is the Canon EOS M5 body which I believe have interchangeable lenses.

Basically what I am saying is I need a very good point and shoot camera that is not to big takes good photos and has wifi and bluetooth so I can transfer to either my Apple lap top or Apple iPad pro then to the media and is not to big and heavy.

Its a bit late in the day for me to go into a big learning curve on how to manually operate a camera to obtain the best possible photo. Don't get me wrong I simply love looking at the most beautiful photos from forum members like Grumpy John and many other forum members.

I realise I have been babbling on a bit but I need all the help I can get as I need as many facts as possible to make the best decision to suit me and I probably won't get another chance.

Kindest regards to all Forum members and thank you in advance

Graeme

Hi Graeme, welcome to the forum.

Its a bit hard recommending a camera because there are so many variables, and whatever you buy will be a compromise of some sort.
    For me, I wouldnt consider anything less than a DSLR and an assortment of lenses, but I accept that its not everyones cup of tea. The weight issue especially when traveling could be a real hassle for some. ( A DSLR can be used as a P&S if you want to start off simple with it)
    I have read your post a few times, from what I can gather, you want to share your images online, and view them digitally, for this one of the P&S type cameras could probably suffice, or you could go up to the next step and look at something called a Bridge camera, like the Nikon P900, this would give you a bit more room to be creative than a P&S. Other brands would have similar models, but because I am a Nikon user, I will use that model for an example.( I believe its an excellent camera by the reports I have heard)
    ​​​​​​​If you intended to use a lot of your photos to print in larger sizes, I would recommend something with a larger sensor, but this also comes at the higher cost.
    Anyway, google "Nikon P900 review" , have a read and see what you think.
    Let us know your thoughts, and ask any questions.
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I know virtually nil about Canon cameras, so I just checked out that M5 you talk about. It has some pretty good specs. Although the camera body is slightly lighter than a DSLR, you will be using the same lenses, so your weight saving will be negligible.
      From the reports I have heard, electronic viewfinders aren't the best for fast moving subjects like birds etc. But for everything else should be good.
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Hi Graeme, welcome to the Forum. I hope we can be of help to you as you battle the minefield that is modern digital cameras.
        I totally agree with Brett's first comment, and the camera you choose will have to suit YOUR needs. I notice from your profile in WWF that you are based in Gladstone, so Here's a link to the Gladstone Camera Club. They also have a facebook page which is public so you may be able to get in contact with members close to you and seek their suggestions.

Here is a comparison of several options.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/co...tDir=ascending

Comment

First you are never to old to learn.
          What about a Canon EOS M10 small body like a point and shoot but with interchangeable lenses.
          The first question I ask people is what is your maximum price because you can soon rack up a lot of money in camera gear, trust me just ask SWMBO. Then I ask what shooting style and what subjects they/you will be shooting. You have answered most except the price range one.
          The M10 cost about $600 with one lens. a good mid point camera with versatility.
          M3 has higher MP but a few extra $$
          Last edited by Rum Pig; 20th December 2016, 08:21 AM.
          Cheers Rum Pig

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Comment

Here is a good review that I would think is worth your time reading
            http://mel365.com/best-travel-camera/
            Cheers Rum Pig

Comment

Camera Update

Hi to everyone who has assisted me with the many choices available.

Brad
              Rum Pig
              Grumpy John

​​​​​​After reading and listening to all your advice I have final made my decision. The camera is a mid range full frame DSLR which is lighter and smaller and has WiFi. I do realise it does not have all the bells and whistles of the larger lovely DSLR's but it ticks the boxes for me.
              I just have to decide which lens to get.

I do intend to contribute to this Forum and learn next year when I start travelling

Thanks once again

Graeme

Comment

• Grumpy John
                Grumpy John commented
                Editing a comment
                Have a good look at Sigma Lenses, particularly the 8-16 f4.5 and the 24-105 f4.0, or the17-70 2.8.
                All very nice lenses.

• Ironwood
                Ironwood commented
                Editing a comment
                John, the 8-16, and 17-70 are crop sensor lenses I believe. Not ideal for a full frame camera.

• Grumpy John
                Grumpy John commented
                Editing a comment
                Ops, yes you're right. But they are very good lenses.

Congrats Graeme. Although I am not familiar with Canon models, I am sure the 6D will be a fine camera and serve you well.
              Good luck in your search for a lens. Both Grumpy John and Rum Pig shoot Canons, and they both have the Sigma 24-105 f4, might be worth quizzing them on the subject.
              Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Woody1
                Woody1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ironwood. So much to choose from but I might as well get a good one.

I don't know if this will matter to you but I will warn you so you can make the right choice.
              Full frame DSLR is awesome choice BUT the lenses are a lot more expensive and bigger than a cropped sensor DSLR.
              Good luck and I cant wait to see some pictures.
              Oh also while the wallet is out get some Natural density filters, when traveling we can't always get to the places at the best time to photograph and ND filters will help knock back some of the harsh sun light.
              Cheers Rum Pig

Comment

Hi Graeme

This might be a bit sacrilegious for the purists, but....

A little while ago I purchased a LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ100EB a few months ago and I have been very, very impressed and found it excellent for travel. No messing about with lenses etc compact and does some amazing things. I just arrived in Scotland (bit nippy 0.8C in Edinburgh right now) on holidays at the moment and have it with me although it hasn't been out of the suite case since we left home I'm hoping to give it a bit of a workout in the next week or so.

This camera got a very good rap in the link Rum Pig put on in post #6

Link to pages of info CLICK HERE

For what it's worth I have owned a number of cameras over the years including SLR's and a couple of DSLR which I like but for ease of use ease of travel sheer excitement with what it can do and easily this is probably my all time favourite.

One of my favourite things is the brilliant viewfinder. I often find it a pain to view on an LED screen especially in bright light. The viewfinder will show you exactly what you will get and automatically switches off the LED screen when you put your eye to it. This is also one of the reasons that helped me to decide on purchasing it.

Only drawback is there is no dust or water seals on the camera. However I still highly recommend it. This is coming from someone who isn't really a camera person but wants to get good high end photos.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil

PS there is also another version TZ80 with 30 times zoom which is what I originally set out to buy for the amazing zoom but was out of stock for many months and I believe was almost impossible to get a good zoom pic with unless you had areally goo solid tripod.

I'm really happy with what I got.

Comment

• Woody1
                  Woody1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Neil. I have read your very good detailed opinion on the Lumiix digital TZ100EB which looks very good and have decided to wait until the early new year to contact our Camera club here in Gladstone and talk to other people about what cameras they use before I make my final final decision.
                  Thank you for your in depth reply.
                  Graeme
              Working...
              X