Another sharpening technique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sharpening technique

I came across this sharpening technique which was new to me. The result is subtle but extremely effective.

The test image was taken 3 years ago using D800 with Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens - exposure 1/125 f11 ISO 100 natural light.

RAW image
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC7769-NEF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	6503

Process in Photoshop CC 2017:

Duplicate original image to new layer set Opacity to 65%
    Apply unsharp mask - Amount 125%, 1.2 pixel radius, threshold 6
    Edit > Fade USM - 50% Blending mode - Luminosity
    Change layer blend mode to Overlay
    Filter > Other > High Pass Filter - Radius 3.5 pixels

Name:	_DSC7769.jpg
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	6504

Centre section zoomed in to 200%

Name:	_DSC7769_200.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	6502

No noise reduction is necesssary and the level of detail, even at 200% is impressive

Link to original article for this technique http://www.pixelgenius.com/tips/schewe-sharpening.pdf

Cheers, Bob

Very cool way to sharpen Bob. I get a very similar effect using a different method so I have already put your instructions in an action. It works great in CS6 as well. I'd like to include it in my Freebies actions on my website if that's OK? I'd give you credit in a pop-up if you like.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Please post when/if you create this action Isac. I would be very interested to try it out.

• oldgreybeard
      oldgreybeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Isac, You are most welcome to include it on your website.
      A couple of weeks ago when talking to John about how we could upload the flash exposure spreadsheets I have developed onto the Forum, Your name came up a possible solution. Would you like to look at the spreadsheets and documentation.? I will talk to Neil next week to see if we have a solution to uploading to the forum, if not would you be interested in puting it on your site as a freebie download?

Bob

Thanks guys, I have placed the new action onto my website as a freebie. It's included in the "Isac Images SHARPEN Actions". HERE.
    If you need somewhere to have your Flash Exposure spreadsheet available for download, I'd be happy to house it on my website. If you email the files I will make it happen for you. My email is info@isacimages.com.au

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for offering to host these files Isac. There might not be many of us posting on a regular basis, but helping each other is a step in the right direction.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      It's an absolute pleasure GJ. Helping out is what it's all about. I couldn't agree more. And do you know what? I just love helping out any way I can. We aren't on the planet very long!

Bob, you got me all excited when I saw your post headed "Another Sharpening Technique". Always looking for a better way of sharpening my wood turning chisels, it really got my hopes up. Ah well, next time maybe. But thanks anyway for yet another photography lesson.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

Well I do have a tormek with a CBN wheel. Absolutely the best, so much better than the white water wheel which came standard with the Tormek.
      However it's pretty useless at sharpening a Photosop image

Bob
      Last edited by oldgreybeard; 3rd September 2017, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Ironwood
        Ironwood commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you still use the CBN wet ?

• oldgreybeard
        oldgreybeard commented
        Editing a comment
        I started using it wet, but changed to dry after talking to some of the experts at Working with wood show a couple of years ago. I dont think there is any difference in the finish and at only 120 RPM heating of the tool is not a problem.
    Working...
    X