Locating your images

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating your images

I recently did a quick check of how many images I have stored on my computer. Between my wife and I we have in the vicinity of 37,000 photo's stored on 2 hard drives. While a lot of these are not keepers and we should do a good cull, there would still be in excess of 20,000 images left.
    I tend to put my images in folders named after where the photo's were taken, and then in sub folders of the towns visited if they were taken on a trip.
    This is fine if I know where the photo was taken, but if I'm looking for a particular image/s - say, photo's of bridges - it is very time consuming to locate all my images of bridges.
    In hindsight I should have taken advantage of using metadata and put in keywords so I could easily locate images at a later date.

How do others manage their images?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Folders.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	2394

I have a system similar to yours John. It does make it hard to locate specific images.

I do a cull every few months to keep my numbers down.
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I'm going to have to do a savage cull and as I go through my images I'll tag them with relevant keywords. Should be fun.

Comment

I know your problem, going through the same process. Using Adobe lightroom to catalogue by date taken and assigning keywords to each image. Being able to create keyword sets and temporary default sets does help, but it is still a tedious job. But Lightroom does give the option of multiple sort criteria based on metadata, keywords and text.

I went through first and 'rated' each image - 1 star = keeper (include in catalogue), 2 star = Apply highlevel keyword e.g. London, regional England, Scotland, etc 4 star = need to apply detailed keywords ASAP.

Not necessarily the best approach, just how I did it.

Bob

Comment

I was going through mine last night and decided to ask a similar question today.
          I like to keep photos in folders of relevance an example is my recent trip to Winton, But I often take photos not relevant to the holiday for example on this holiday I took some photos of 3 Brulgas not relevant to my family but I still would like to be able to remember where they were taken. I currently move them to my bird folder and hope I can remember them or make a JEPG copy and add tags.
          My Problem is tagging CR2 files JEPG is easy but I cant find a way to tag/keywords to raw files. If anyone has a way I would love to know.
          Cheers Rum Pig

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Comment

Hi RP, good to see you back here.
            First question, are you using Lightroom, or Photoshop?
            I use Photoshop and convert my CR2 files into DNG when importing them into Photoshop. I can add tags to DNG files and I'm assuming that you an also add tags to CR2 files.
            Have a look at this video.

I did a quick test this morning and found all my RAW images of fungi and tagged them. Using the Search box in the top right corner of Photoshop I typed in fungi and all the tagged images as well as files containing "fungi" were located.
            It's not easy to see here, but the images are from 3 separate folders, Gladysdale - Gembrook, My Pictures, and Pirianda Gardens.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Metadata.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	2406

Comment

I use photoshop cc and when I open a RAW photo in PS CC it takes it straight to adobe camera raw.
              I will need to watch the video tonight after work. I think I still have an old copy of PS so I might try that.
              Cheers Rum Pig

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Comment

Gees.....if I think back I would have to have 10s of thousands of Kodak slides going back to the mid 70s and then going to the late 90s. It will be a big job to get into them and convert to digital to store on the computer. With me swinging over to digital may be 10 years ago(?) I have quite diligent in putting them in folders with a bare description to help a search. Another thing I find I am doing a little more often is to make a folder in word of a "Work In Progress" with text and fluffed out with images. By doing these it helps "remember" how I created something or doing a "How To" so I have it on hand if i or the Forum may want to see something particular.

I think that it doesn't really matter what system you use the "trick" is to be consistent AND actually do it as early as you can when you unite the crd with the camera. The longer you leave it the bigger and harder the task will be.

As I may have mentioned some where earlier, to get into digital with eyes that are not good getting close to the controls of the camera easily, the camera does such and excellent job most of the time. Then being able to enlarge them on the computer screen and catalogue them for future reference or Email them is great for us "older guys/gals". My wife Photoshops but at this point I am happy to have my pics available raw. One day when I am really old I may get into some with Photoshop

Comment

I don't have the photo issue but RP's requirement for a photo to be filed and found in multiple places sounds familiar and I wonder if there is any software to do that for photos. My wife has in excess of 50,000 digital embroidery files for her machines and there is software available that allows filing in multiple places but the actual digital file is not duplicated etc. it relies on the design being filed once and not moved as all it does is create a link to the files in as many places as you want. Say I had a file of a horse with a child ring it, I could file it under animals, horse, child etc using the path to the file and no multiple copies of the original file needed.

Comment

I have 1000's of photos of aircraft. On my hard drive, I have a folder for each airport/airfield. Within each folder, I have subfolders for each day I visited, dated in the format YYYYMMDD so they appear in year/month/day order. If I am working with multiple cameras, I have subsubfolders for each camera. The most frames I took on one day was at an airshow where I used rapid burst, and took 1040 frames. Some days I might only take 4 or 5 photos if there are no new aircraft about. Note: the four character code starting with Y is the international code for that airport, so YMAV means Y- prefix for Australlia, M- Melbourne area control, AV- Avalon Airport.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t1 Size:\t117.8 KB ID:\t8182","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"8182","data-size":"icon"}

Last edited by red750; 28th February 2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X