ISO Noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO Noise

On another forum, someone posted this link of a test on a Canon 7D, it shows that noise is reduced at iso160 compared to lower iso's, and multiples of 160 https://vimeo.com/10473734

I did a search to find if Nikon experienced the same thing, but it appears Nikon sensors may behave a bit more predictably https://vimeo.com/26211959

It might be something for Canon shooters to be mindful of when setting your iso.
    Cheers, Brad.

Thanks Brad, I'll check this out.

Comment

Hi Brad, I spent (wasted) 2 hours this morning following posts and reviews related to this subject as the video you linked to is so different from what I teach.

There are a number of points which have been made in other posts, etc which cast doubt on the applicability of the results in the video to photographers who are shooting in RAW format and not making the conversion to .psd, .jpeg, tiff, etc in-camera.

There are many (thousands) of posts, reviews, etc on the internet which discuss this video and similar subjects. My observations are;

1. It seems that the original video was 'filtered' to separate the noise from the image signal content. There is some criticism of this technique, but there are also many Canon users who reported similar results
      2. In all reports which I read, the variation between the multiples of 100 vs 160 ISO were related to jpeg images which was generated in-camera.
      3. A number of 'experts' offered the suggestion that it was some internal algorithm problems - ISO 160 is purported to have been generated by a software algorithm which took the ISO 200 calculation and down-scaled this by the equivalent of 1/3rd stop.
      4. The algorithm explanation seems to have merit, given the fact that the problem only exists when jpeg images are produced in-camera. It may also ibe of concern when working in video mode.

It should be remebered that this video is 6 years old, and I did not see any reports that it exists in that current models.

It would appear that if you have a Canon 7D or models of a similar age, there are 2 practical solutions:
      1. If you need to generate in-camera jpeg images, uses muliples of ISO 160 for best results
      2. Shoot in RAW format and and convert to jpeg in Photoshop, DPP, or Lightroom, etc.

Bob
      Last edited by oldgreybeard; 5th April 2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Well Bob, as with anything posted on the internet, you should always do your own research before taking it as gospel.
        Perhaps John can rest at ease now, because I am sure he shoots in raw.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
        X