No announcement yet.

FORUM SHUTDOWN yes or no

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Deconvolution Sharpening" - Eehh Whaat???

Want to learn more ?
    Last edited by oldgreybeard; 29th January 2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Affinity Photo, Capture One, Lightroom, Photoshop and more implement Deconvolution sharpening (although it may be known by another name)

Comment

Sounds interesting Bob.
        I just tried to see how it was done in Affinity Photo, from what I could gather, you might need a plug-in to be able to do it, unless I am missing something.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Hi Brad,
          I haven't looked closely at Affinity, other than to seeing a reference that they have a similar process. I have been experimenting with the technique for a few weeks and the results are amazing.
          I have just got home from a week's vacation on Phillip Island in Gippsland, so will have a look at Affinity Photo next week. I will try and post a before and after photo (done in photoshop) in the next day or two

Comment

No worries Bob. I might have a better look at Affinity tonight to see what I can find out.
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Hi Brad - I just checked and I think you may be right about the plug in - Here is an approach from the Affinity forum
              https://forum.affinity.serif.com/ind...on-sharpening/

"Thanks to your help I am now trialling Topaz Infocus for a month. It seems to do something additional to and different from my normal High Pass sharpening in Affinity Photo. It also seems to do some of the same kind of sharpening and detail enhancement

I am still trying to understand the best adjustment to workflow.It would seem to be sensible to do the following:

1 Develop RAW as normal in AP

2 Use Topaz Infocus for deconvolution sharpening and very modest sharpening and detail enhancement

3 Finish off at end of layer process with very gentle High pass sharpening if more required.

Does this make sense?"

Let us know what you come up with

Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

Deconvolution or capture sharpening is the first component in a 3 step sharpening regime. I suggest this article for a good overview of the 3 step method and it will also put the purpose of deconvolution sharpening in proper context.

https://photographylife.com/landscap...tep-sharpening

Comment

Yes, I saw that same post. But I want to look further into what Affinity can do before going elsewhere.
                  From the brief reading I have done on the subject so far, I gather deconvolution sharpening applies a small amount of uniform noise to the image. I know I can do that in Affinity, but I have to find out what more is done so I can try and work out if it can be done or not.
                  Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	combined.jpg Views:	1 Size:	604.9 KB ID:	9062
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3380.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	604.9 KB
ID:	9066

​ ​ The image on the left is the original .NEF (raw) image from the Nikon D800 converted using Adobe Lightroom and converted to a .jpg image. No other processing was done and all default options were switched off. The image on the right is the same image with the exception that deconvolution sharpening was applied using the ;Details' panel before the image was converted to a .jpg image. The Sharpening settings in the detail panel are:
                    Amount : 86
                    Radius: 0.5 pixels
                    Details: 100
                    Masking: 0

With the Details slider set to 100 (extreme right side) deconvolution sharpening is applied. If the slider is to the extreme left the Unsharp Mask sharpening is applied - anywhere in between is a blend of the two sharpening methods.The major difference between the 2 sharpening methods is that USM applies a gaussian blur during the sharpening process whilst deconvolution sharpening applies a lens blur. I have found very little in the way of reliable information as to explain exactly what effect the different blurring is controlling.

Comparing the 2 images above, I can concern 3 major differences:
                    1. The 'sharpness' in areas of fine detail is greatly improved. This clearly evident in the foliage of the trees on the left
                    2.Overall the colours are more accurate. The bluish colour cast caused by the dense shade in the foreground and the atmospheric haze in the background has been largely eliminated
                    3. The tonal range appears to be more balanced with more natural transitions between shadows, midtones and highlights

The next 2 images are included to give you an indication of how this process transfers to the finished image. The first is a 'completed' image and the second is a cropped at 100% zoom to show the level of detail in the hills in the background which at a guess would be 10+ miles away.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC6268-Final.jpg Views:	1 Size:	464.9 KB ID:	9061

Name:	image_3382.jpg
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	9067

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC6268-100%l.jpg Views:	1 Size:	538.1 KB ID:	9060

Name:	image_3381.jpg
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	9068

I would appreciate your comments and comparisons with any experiments that you have undertaken
                    Cheers
                    Bob

Last edited by Grumpy John; 31st January 2019, 05:40 PM. Reason: I have reloaded the images for Bob.

Comment

• Grumpy John
                      Grumpy John commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry Bob, I tried to reload your images. They looked fine in edit mode, but when I posted they shrank down to the same size as the ones you posted.

• Grumpy John
                      Grumpy John commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bob, I have started this thread elsewhere and the images have posted fullsize.
                      Maybe you could continue on from here.
                      http://photoforums.com.au/forum/phot...ion-sharpening

Somehow we managed to lose the last paragraph -

One other thing that I should mention is that things went pear shaped very quickly if I was too heavy handed with the amount of sharpening that I applied. In reality, an amount of about 50 would be more appropriate, but when the image is down scaled from 36mega pixels to the maximum size permitted by the forum, you would hardly detect the changes.

Comment

Neil, John and Brad,

Well it is a month since Neil started this thread and posted the poll. Unfortunately we are the only 4 to cast a vote. I said I was prepared to play my part in trying to revive the forum and I think I gave it a fair shot. Thanks John and Brad for your contribution, but although other members have logged on to the forum in the last month, none voted or made any comment.

From my point of view, I may drop in occasionally to see if anything has changed, but I can not see myself continuing as an active member. Unless there are many more active members joining the forum, this is likely to be my last posting.

Best wishes,
                      Bob

Comment

I won't vote but I joined up 2 years ago and then with all the other groups I am involved with promptly forgot about the group. I only remembered again when I saw a link this morning. I'll try to remember to contribute on an occasional basis but no promises.

Comment

Working...
                        X