Super Blue Blood Moon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Blue Blood Moon

Something you all might want to take a few photos of. According to 9Honey Travel, Victoria and New South Wales will get to see the it from around 11.50pm on January 31st, until around 12.30am on February 1. For Queensland, obviously shave an hour off that.
    We in Western Australia won’t get the whole eclipse but can see it from 7.30pm – 11pm.
    Here's a moon shot from a while ago with the settings I used, just to get you started. You'll probably change these settings to suit yourselves. I'm going to use Spot Metering and try some bracketed shots. TRIPOD is a MUST!! Use mirror lockup and remote shutter release if available. The moon is a long way away and doesn't stop moving, so do everything to avoid blur.
    Have a practice beforehand and good luck with it all and I hope to see some great shots here. Cheers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon-with-Exif.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	7986

Thanks for the heads-up Isac, hopefully it will be a cloudless night.
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

You got me excited isac, particularly when it was reported on TV last night as something which had not happen in the last 150 years. Then .. meteorologist this morning burst the bubble. In Melbourne it will not technically be a blue moon as that component will not be visible until after midnight (a blue moon is apparently the second full moon in a calendar month). Also the super moon component is technically incorrect, it will be a big moon, but not a super moon as the super moon has just occurred.
      However, if the cloud cover lifts, I will probably try to stay awake - midnight is way past my bed time. Good luck to to everyone who tries to get a shot. I am planning to use a digiscope solution, it will give me the equivalent of an 850mm lens with the full frame sensor.

Bob

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Like you Bob, midnight is also way past my bedtime. If there is no cloud cover I will make the effort to stay up, but will not be photographing the event as my tripod and long lens are packed away ready for our move.

Thanks for the tips, Isac; especially the idea of having a trial run the night before. So here's how last night's practice went:
      Tripod - Check
      Big Lens - Check
      Remote - Check
      Settings - Check
      Moon - Moon? Yeah, somewhere behind all those clouds.
      Not to worry, it was still good setting up practice and maybe tonight will be clearer for us Sydneysiders.
      Last edited by Gary H; 31st January 2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• dee kay
        dee kay commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Isac,nice to hear from you. Yes it will quite a sight to see. I will be staying up,never go to bed before midnight anyhow, but won't be taking any pictures. Gary is right nothing but gloomy grey clouds tonight.

Name:	Superbloodbluemoon.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	7998

Too much light from the city lights, but at least I stayed awake and got something

Good morning (12.44am Melbourne time)
      Bob

Comment

• Grumpy John
        Grumpy John commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done Bob. My wife saw it through the bedroom window while I was fast asleep.

• dee kay
        dee kay commented
        Editing a comment
        Dear Bob,what a spectacular sight. Well done ,it's so beautiful.

A few from last night in the West. Clear skies above.
      #1 - Moon rising

Name:	0374-Moon-Rising.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	8010

#2 - Eclipse start

Name:	0801-Eclipse-Start.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	8011

#3 - Eclipse half way

Name:	0411-Half-Eclipse.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	8012

#4 - Almost full eclipse

Name:	0447-Almost-Full-Eclipse.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	8009

Comment

• dee kay
        dee kay commented
        Editing a comment
        Wonderful shots Isac.Just enlighten me. If it is midnight here in Sydney what time is it in Perth. What exactly was the time you took these?

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Midnight in Sydney = 9pm Perth. I took 100's of shots from 7:30pm to 11pm. Reasonable hour to be out photographing the moon

Great shots from both Bob and Isac; thanks for sharing them. The Sydney weather let us down, so it's great to see what we missed out on.Oh well, another 170+ years so I'll only be around 245 when I get another chance.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

• oldgreybeard
        oldgreybeard commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought I would be far to grumpy by then, so I made the effort to stay awake last night. Made up for it this afternoon, Maureen came home about 2pm and caught me having a 'nanna nap'.

Cheers, Bob

• dee kay
        dee kay commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok Gary. the clouds did clear on OUR side of the bay.Ha Ha Anyway I will tell you my tale of woe.I thought I would stay up and at least see it,unfortunately I fell asleep in front of the TV. I awoke with a start about 2.30. am and had a quick look outside and actually saw the last part of the eclipse. I ran upstairs stumbling and falling over my own two feet and took a quick pic. Of course it's a pretty feeble picture. No tripod or any settings ,so here it is.What ! where do you upload from here? will have to post it at the end.
        Last edited by dee kay; 1st February 2018, 09:35 PM.

here is my very sad pic.

Name:	DSCN0377.JPG
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	8026

Comment

John might correct me, but I don't think you can attach a photo to a comment. I think you have to post a reply. I haven't commented on the artistic qualities of your image - I'm not allowed to be 'grumpy' this month

Cheers, Bob

Comment

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Jeez Bob, will you make it to the 28th? Lucky it's a short month. :-)

• Grumpy John
          Grumpy John commented
          Editing a comment
          Just had a bit of a play around, and you're quite right Bob there doesn't seem to be a way to insert a photo into a comment.

My daughter spent a couple of hours on our front lawn with her Nikon P900 mounted on a tripod, taking one photo about every 30 seconds. Some turned out really well, others not so good. One showed the moon out of focus and would normally have been discarded, but sh just happened to capture the International Space Station passing the moon. She has agreed to let me post the image. The ISS is the dot in the lower right corner. If you can enlarge the image, you will be able to see the solar panel wings extended from the main trunk of the station

Comment

Working...
        X