Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 52 - #50. "Still Life"

This weeks topic is Still Life.
    Click here for some inspiration - https://www.thephotoargus.com/35-sup...e-photography/

For those that are not sure what is going on here I will list the basic rule/ideas.
    This is a friendly competition/project with the prize each week of fame and the chance to select the next weeks theme and winner.
    Each week a new thread with be started to announce the new theme and post your pics.
    Post two pics(or one if that is all you can muster) on the theme. The photos do not need to be award wining photos they can even be from a phone or any camera the idea is to take of photo of your interpretation of the theme not get published in a photography journal.
    The theme should be able to be photographed reasonably close to where you live, so no need to travel great distances. this way it should only take people a few minutes to participate.
    The photos should be taken within the week of the theme as the idea is to get you out there snapping not trolling through old images.
    You can post old images for inspiration but not as part of the comp/Project.
    As this is an honesty system, if you do post a photo taken outside the challenge dates, please state that its an old photo .

If I have missed anything please post it so we can sort it out. Remember this is meant to be fun and there are no sheep stations up for grabs.
    I would encourage those watching from the sidelines to have a go, there is nothing to lose, you can only gain.

To make it easy for the person choosing next weeks theme, just cut and paste this whole post into your new thread, and change the dates and and theme to suit.

NOTE- Unless changed by public vote, these challenges will finish each Monday night at 8 PM

Here are a few that I found that may be considered as still life,

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	7774

Name:	DSC_8934.jpg
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	7775

Name:	DSC_4001.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	7776
    Last edited by Ironwood; 16th December 2017, 08:58 AM.
    Cheers, Brad.

I might have overdone

Name:	DSCN0217.JPG
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	7784

Name:	DSCN0239.JPG
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	7785

Name:	DSCN0255.JPG
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	7786
    these a bit !!!

Comment

Here's one for starters. Things have been pretty hectic, but it's that time of the year. Is this the last project for a while, or does it continue?

Name:	image_2828.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	7798

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9191a2_1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	175.0 KB ID:	7790

Edit: re-posted image to a larger size.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Grumpy John; 18th December 2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Gary H
        Gary H commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, John. I had put up a new topic under the help section before I saw you had fixed this. Would still like to know what to do.

Cheers, Gary

Some good entries DeeKay and Gary. Hopefully some more will come in before the deadline tonight to make my job a bit harder.

As to the Project 52 continuing, it probably needs some discussion, maybe a new thread ?
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Thanks Gary and DeeKay for contributing some great efforts there.

My choice this week goes to DeeKays first image, its a beauty, I love the point of view on this one, would look nice printed on canvas and put on the kitchen or dining room wall.
        Well done DeeKay.

If you don't mind me giving some CC, the only improvement I can suggest, is it needs a bit more room between the edges of the subject and the sides of the frame, and maybe a bit more on the bottom as well. Just like a thumbs width around the subject, it just feels a bit crowded with the tight crop. Still a lovely image though.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Ironwood
          Ironwood commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for commenting Bob. I never thought about HDR, that could work.
          I personally would still use the flash option, but thats just me. Your point about setting the exposure for the lights is good, then just experiment with the flash output to get the right exposure on the darker bits right.

You could even try with the flash on top of the camera if you are not setup for off-camera flash.
          Looking at the noise on your image I assume you had a high ISO setting.

• Gary H
          Gary H commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Bob, but you've lost me. I don't have that software (HDR) and am just trying to get the best I can just from the camera without any editing. The camera was totally on manual settings (not auto or semi-auto), the ISO was 3200, and no lighting was used at all (apart from the flashing coloured lights). The settings were a result of trial and error, where I just keep changing them and see what looks like the best of a bad bunch, The camera is a Nikon D7100. I'm not up to spot metering or merging (whatever they are) so at this stage I'll stick to playing with the flash. Thanks for your suggestions. And yes, Brad, it was a high ISO as I was experimenting with that as well.

Cheers, Gary

• dee kay
          dee kay commented
          Editing a comment
          A very belated thank you for that.I seem to make the same mistake when I try to do a painting....I never leave a gap on the side in case I want to frame it. When I checked the cropping of this photo there was not much cropped at all.Maybe the camera was too close. If I try to get the black ground in should I stand further back,take the picture and crop afterwords ?

Did you end up getting Affinity Photo software Gary ? If you did,it has HDR included.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Gary H
          Gary H commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I didn't get the Affinity (or any other) software. Decided to concentrate on learning the five million bits about the camera and just do a bit of cropping and some View NX2 adjustments.

Cheers, Gary

Good morning Gary, It's been a while since I looked at NX2 but I will have a look this afternoon. I'm pretty sure that I have a copy here somewhere.

You certainly set yourself a difficult task - I thought I had read in a previous post where you were going to buy Affinity. Have you experimented with using the pop-up flash?

Have you looked at my post http://photoforums.com.au/forum/forums-members-help-info-etc/egneral-photography-discussion/7793-project-52-to-continue ? These articles are aimed at learning the basics of photography and will concentrate on the camera and not software. I will be looking into the various options on a typical camera such as yours and discuss not just how to use them, importantly why and when you would use one option over the others.

Comment

• Gary H
          Gary H commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Bob. I saw where you were looking at a series of articles concentrating on camera use rather than editing - sounds good to me.
          I only trialled Affinity to see whether I would buy it, but decided that expecting any software to fix very poor quality photos was expecting a bit much. Hence my continual experimenting (using the age old T&E method) where I learn a lot from my mistakes. Slow, and often frustrating, but what the hell, I'm having fun. Thanks to Brad, I got off Auto and have mainly been using Aperture Priority but then decided to jump in the deep end and see what happened if I used Manual. I did not use flash, as I wanted to see what results I could get without it. So much to learn - so little time. But it's great fun!

Cheers, Gary

Hi Gary,
        I had NX2 loaded on my laptop so had a look while I ate breakfast. Did you take the image of the Christmas tree as a RAW image or a Jpeg? If it is a RAW image, have you tried to edit it in NX2? It seems as though there is a fair amount of scope to bring out detail in the highlight and shadows. In addition to the +/- 2 stops in the exposure slider there are also other adjustments which may help to bring out even more detail.

My apologies for not reading your previous posts properly, I missed the fact that you have been experimenting with flash.

I found these 2 links which give a reasonable first look at NX2 - worth looking at if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.nx101.com/
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo5fO2zzppM

Cheers

Bob

Comment

• Gary H
          Gary H commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't shoot in RAW. At this stage the camera is smarter than me - I have taken photos in both, edited the RAW one, and found the JPEG is better. Iused NX2 for editing the RAW images so I am aware of it's features, but while the camera is smarter than me I'll stick with JPEG. And my aim is still to improve my (basic) camera skills rather than trying to improve my (even more basic) editing skills. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers, Gary

Hi Gary, NIK has a very good HDR program if you still have that on your computer.
        Well worth experimenting with.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Following the above discussions re HDR I have since downloaded a trial version of DxO's Photo Lab as they have now bought the NIk collection from Google. Knowing sweet bugger all about HDR I noticed that the Photo Lab had a "single shot HDR" button for JPEG photos, so I had to give it a try. No sliders, no nothing, just press (that's about my limit at the moment) so here is the original and the new version courtesy of the trial software. I realise a lot more could be done with this photo, but just wanted to show the difference with no other editing. Later I might even break all my rules and read the instructions.

Here's the before

Name:	_DSC9191_1.JPG
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	7858

and this is the after

Name:	_DSC9191_DxO2_1.JPG
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	7857

Cheers, and Happy New Year
          Gary

Comment

• oldgreybeard
            oldgreybeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Hope breaking the rules applies to reading your camera manual as well.
            Cheers
            Bob
            Last edited by oldgreybeard; 1st January 2018, 08:41 PM.

• Gary H
            Gary H commented
            Editing a comment
            With the new (to me) D7100 I regularly break my rules and read the directions and am still doing that in 2018 - I can't risk detention or the cane when the lessons start so I will keep doing my homework (I promise).

Cheers, Gary

• oldgreybeard
            oldgreybeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Great news

Been out of things for a while. Congratulations DK. I really love the choice from Ironwood. Excellent work. I had a bit of a play and extended the sides and bottom and put it in a well deserved timber frame - just for you!

Name:	50-DeeKay-Still Life.png
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	7877

Name:	dee-kay-image_2825-Framed.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	7878

Comment

Thank you so much. It looks fantastic. I did try a few things but nothing really worked. In fact I would be real proud to hang this up in my house. I have had a rather hectic time over the last 3 weeks and did not feel too enthused about photo taking...but now feel as if I have woken up, so am ready to get started. Many thanks once again. Dee Kay.

Comment

• Isac
              Isac commented
              Editing a comment
              You're very welcome DK. I thought your photo was rather special so worth the time. Sometimes a photo just grabs me and this is one of them.

It looks really good framed, well done Isac and Dee Kay, you should be proud of that one.
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Isac
              Isac commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ironwood. It is a stand out image and I gather it was for you as well, cheers.
          Working...
          X