Project #52/37 SAME SUBJECT - DIFFERENT ANGLE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project #52/37 SAME SUBJECT - DIFFERENT ANGLE

This week's project is for you to demonstrate how the appearance (and WOW factor) can be improved by changing the angle. The winner will be the shots showing the most dramatic improvement. The subject can be anything you like - bugs,bridges, birds; whatever.

For those that are not sure what is going on here are our basic rule/ideas.
    This is a friendly competition/project with the prize each week of fame and the chance to select the next weeks theme and winner.
    Each week a new thread with be started to announce the new theme and post your pics.
    Post two pics(or one if that is all you can muster) on the theme. The photos do not need to be award wining photos they can even be from a phone or any camera the idea is to take of photo of your interpretation of the theme not get published in a photography journal.
    The theme should be able to be photographed reasonably close to where you live, so no need to travel great distances. this way it should only take people a few minutes to participate.
    The photos should be taken within the week of the theme as the idea is to get you out there snapping not trolling through old images.
    You can post old images for inspiration but not as part of the comp/Project.
    As this is an honesty system, if you do post a photo taken outside the challenge dates, please state that its an old photo .

If I have missed anything please post it so we can sort it out. Remember this is meant to be fun and there are no sheep stations up for grabs.
    I would encourage those watching from the sidelines to have a go, there is nothing to lose, you can only gain.

To make it easy for the person choosing next weeks theme, just cut and paste this whole post into your new thread, and change the dates and and theme to suit.

NOTE- Unless changed by public vote, these challenges will finish each Monday night at 8 PM

Anything from down low

Click image for larger version

Name:	Same Subject   Different Angle (2)_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	6738

to up high (or any angle you like)

Name:	Same Subject   Different Angle (1)_1.JPG
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	6737

Great idea for a project Gary. We're starting to get peoples creative juices flowing now.

Comment

Good stuff Gary. I like the sound of this one.
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

A couple of old photos, not for judging.

Name:	DSC_9019.jpg
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	6771

Name:	DSC_6697 - Version 2.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	6772
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

This image was taken quite a few years ago, so not eligible.

Down at eye level.

Name:	eye-2-eye.jpg
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	6776

Comment

A few I took today.
            I made a bit of a blunder, I changed my camera the other day to shoot small jpegs so I could use one to get the shutter count of my camera, and forgot to change back to RAW. It wasn't until I was trying to post process the shots that I realised what I had done. They don't have the level of detail that I usually see in my macro shots, but they are what they are, too late now.

Side on...

Name:	DSC_2543.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	6799

Top view.....

Name:	DSC_2546.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	6800

Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Front left....

Name:	DSC_2571.jpg
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	6803

Rear left....

Name:	DSC_2551.jpg
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	6802

Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Thanks Brad. I can now see why you shoot in RAW rather than JPEG. Looks like I'm off on another journey to learn how to process RAW photos.

Cheers, Gary
                Last edited by Gary H; 14th September 2017, 12:03 PM. Reason: Shutter count question deleted - found site that works with my camera!

Comment

I saw your question this morning Gary, but was leaving it til I had time to answer. Looks like you found your own, but I used one of these 2, can't remember which one I got to work, but it needed a small unmodified Jpeg....... http://www.myshuttercount.com https://www.camerashuttercount.com
                  Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Thanks Brad. I first tried myshuttercount and got told three times "detail not available". camerashuttercount worked fine. Results vary depending on model, even within the same brand. Well, that's another lesson learned.

Comment

Question Gary, are you allowed to swap lenses for the second shot?

Comment

• Gary H
                      Gary H commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, why not? Anything to make it more interesting - just has to be same subject - different angle. And have fun !

Cheers, Gary

For this project I decided to use my Sigma 30mm f-1.4 EX DC HSM Lens. I never use this lens, probably because I'm a lazy photographer and prefer my zoom lenses. I should use it more.

Name:	Project-52-37a.jpg
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	6849

Name:	Project-52-37b.jpg
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	6848

Name:	Project-52-37c.jpg
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	6847

Comment

• Gary H
                      Gary H commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're right - you should! They keep telling us that the best zoom you will ever have is your feet! :-)
                      Your last shot is a great example of the value of using a different angle.

Cheers, Gary

Hope these are ok.

Name:	DSCN0762.JPG
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	6877
                    Honey I shrunk the kids.

Name:	WP_20170914_14_04_52_Pro.jpg
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	6878
                    taken thru a glass window

Name:	WP_20170914_14_03_07_Pro.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	6879

Name:	DSCN0782.JPG
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	6880
                    more of a variation of a theme.

Name:	water 034.JPG
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	6881

Name:	DSCN0788.JPG
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	6882

Name:	water 048.JPG
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	6883

Comment

And so ends another week - and another topic. Ironwood's insects and dee kay's "shrunken kids" showed how altering the angle can change the picture, but Grumpy John's vehicle photos from the normal type car photo in his first shot, compared to "the last thing the pedestrian saw" in his third entry, really took my eye. That's what I would call a dramatic change. Well done and thanks to all for your entries, and congratulations to John, who now picks the next topic and next week's winner.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

Thanks for the win Gary. Yes, you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the 100 series cruiser. Thanks to all the others who took the time to submit entries, we really need more than the same 3 or four people putting up photo's though.

Comment

• Ironwood
                          Ironwood commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, a couple more participants certainly wouldnt go astray. Maybe a free virtual beer for for all entries might help to attract some new starters.
                      Working...
                      X