X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironwood
    started a topic Project 52 #36 - Arches

Project 52 #36 - Arches

This week is about Arches, use your imagination, or not, but show us your arches.

For those that are not sure what is going on here I will list the basic rule/ideas.
    This is a friendly competition/project with the prize each week of fame and the chance to select the next weeks theme and winner.
    Each week a new thread with be started to announce the new theme and post your pics.
    Post two pics(or one if that is all you can muster) on the theme. The photos do not need to be award wining photos they can even be from a phone or any camera the idea is to take of photo of your interpretation of the theme not get published in a photography journal.
    The theme should be able to be photographed reasonably close to where you live, so no need to travel great distances. this way it should only take people a few minutes to participate.
    The photos should be taken within the week of the theme as the idea is to get you out there snapping not trolling through old images.
    You can post old images for inspiration but not as part of the comp/Project.
    As this is an honesty system, if you do post a photo taken outside the challenge dates, please state that its an old photo .

If I have missed anything please post it so we can sort it out. Remember this is meant to be fun and there are no sheep stations up for grabs.
    I would encourage those watching from the sidelines to have a go, there is nothing to lose, you can only gain.

To make it easy for the person choosing next weeks theme, just cut and paste this whole post into your new thread, and change the dates and and theme to suit.

NOTE- Unless changed by public vote, these challenges will finish each Monday night at 8 PM

Here are a couple of my old photos to help get the ball rolling.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0775.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	6639

Name:	DSC_0997 - Version 2.jpg
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	6640

• Isac
    commented on 's reply
    I've been parasailing in the past and it's a real buzz. Nice "arch" btw.

• Isac
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks guys. I do Silver and Bronze if you think the expense is a bit over the top!! Gary, it's a pleasure and it's good fun too.

• Ironwood
    commented on 's reply
    I reckon the way you are going Gary, you will have a D850 before me, I think you are going to have to build a bigger trophy cabinet with beefed up shelves to hold all the gold

• Gary H
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Isac. Just wondering how many of these Brad has to win so he can melt them down and buy the D850?
    Your medals are very much appreciated.

Cheers, Gary

• Ironwood
    replied
    Heres another one I could have used for a sample shot...

Name:	DSC_9035.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	6766

Leave a comment:

• Ironwood
    commented on 's reply
    Lucky you have plenty of gold in the ground over your way Isac, otherwise making these gold medals could become quite expensive for you

• Ironwood
    commented on 's reply
    I am glad you don't mind me giving a bit of critique there Dee Kay. Cropping can be a powerful compositional tool, but if you go too far it can be detrimental, its nearly always better to have a bit of space around your subject, whether its a bird, a human, a car, or a wedding arch.

• Isac
    replied
    Fabulous entries this week. Congratulations to all. Ironwoods judging was made extremely arduous by the quality of photos submitted.
    Good on you GaryH.

Name:	36-GaryH-Arches.png
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	6757

Leave a comment:

• dee kay
    commented on 's reply
    Well done Gary. Looking at the shot I can understand what Brad means. congratulations.

• dee kay
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Brad for the constructive comment. I did crop the dam thing and checking back I see what you mean. Another lesson learnt. Thank you.

• Grumpy John
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words Brad, and congratulations to Gary for the well deserved win. Just goes to show that getting a different view on a subject makes an ordinary shot a winner.

Leave a comment:

• Gary H
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words, Brad (and the decision!) . Congratulations to both dee kay and John for their excellent entries, particularly John's treatment of the Seafarers Bridge. Glad I didn't have to judge the entries. Now the challenge is to come up with a topic just as enjoyable as last week's - stay tuned !

Cheers, Gary

Leave a comment:

• Ironwood
    replied
    And as the bell tolls, another week comes to a close.
    Some impressive entries for me to choose from, makes for a difficult choice.
    Johns trip to the City yielded some quality images, my pick of the bunch being Seafarers Bridge, the B&W version improves on an already great image.
    Gary stepped up with a couple of worthy entries, I really like the point of view of the Como Bridge with the arches framing the walkway, great shot Gary.
    And last but not least, Dee Kay also delivered with some historic arches, and a lovely Wedding Arch. The Wedding Arch was potentially a winning entry, but I feel it needs a little bit more room around the arch to help with the composition.
    That leaves John and Gary's bridge entries, while I love Johns moody Seafarers Arches, I have to give the gong to Gary. For me you made the shot special by having the camera at the same height as the top of the mesh sides, which creates those leading lines that takes your eye down to the end of the walkway, helped by those overhead arches.
    Well done Gary, your choice for a new topic.

Leave a comment:

• Ironwood
    commented on 's reply
    Some very good examples of arches there Dee Kay, you have just made my choice much harder.
Working...
X