Project 52#28 birds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 52#28 birds

This week's subject is BIRDS (the feathered variety!). Anything from Emus to Egrets, from Barn Owls to Budgies, and the more colourful the better.

For those that are not sure what is going on here I will list the basic rule/ideas.

This is a friendly competition/project with the prize each week of fame and the chance to select the next weeks theme and winner.
    Each week a new thread with be started to announce the new theme and post your pics.
    Post two pics(or one if that is all you can muster) on the theme. The photos do not need to be award wining photos - they can be from a phone or any camera; the idea is to take of photo of your interpretation of the theme not get published in a photography journal.
    The theme should be able to be photographed reasonably close to where you live, so no need to travel great distances. this way it should only take people a few minutes to participate.
    The photos should be taken within the week of the theme as the idea is to get you out there snapping not trolling through old images.
    You can post old images for inspiration but not as part of the comp/Project.
    As this is an honesty system, if you do post a photo taken outside the challenge dates, please state that its an old photo .

If I have missed anything please post it so we can sort it out. Remember this is meant to be fun and there are no sheep stations up for grabs.
    I would encourage those watching from the sidelines to have a go, there is nothing to lose, you can only gain.

To make it easy for the person choosing next weeks theme, just cut and paste this whole post into your new thread, and change the dates and and theme to suit.

NOTE- Unless changed by public vote, these challenges will finish each Monday night at 8 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Birds (1)a_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	5718

Name:	Birds (5).jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	5719

My favourite genre BUT this is not eligble because it's a couple of years old.

Name:	Peacock-0.JPG
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	5746

Comment

Up to the lake today to see what I could spy. The usual suspects were there and I got up close and personal with the last surviving cygnet with it's parents. Miss Mallard was there too and a lovely 28 parrot checking out it's nesting box.
      #1 - Cygnet

Name:	Cygnet-1.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	5750

#2 - Swan - 1

Name:	Swan-1.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	5749

#3 - Swan - 2

Name:	Swan-2.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	5751

#4 - Mallard (female)

Name:	Mallard-2.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	5752

#5 - 28 Parrot

Name:	Parrot-1.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	5748

Comment

• Ironwood
        Ironwood commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice series there Isac, a good variety.

With the evil eye and the wake from behind the swan, it looks like you were about to be chased away from the young 'un.
      Good variety of feathered friends, Brad. OOPS! That should be Isac, not Brad. Shoulda gone to SpecSavers !~
      Last edited by Gary H; 15th July 2017, 10:17 AM. Reason: Contributed by Isac, not Ironwood. At least they both start with I.

Comment

• Ironwood
        Ironwood commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be Isac Gary, I haven't posted mine yet

I paid a visit to the lagoon at the Mackay Botanical Gardens this week.

The smaller Egret was sitting by itself at first, I was focusing the lens and getting ready to click the shutter when the big one came in and bombed the photo, the little one jumped a foot to the left as the big one landed.

Name:	DSC_0562.jpg
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	5758

And a little more composed.

Name:	DSC_0566.jpg
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	5759
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Black Duck at the Lagoon.

Name:	DSC_0273.jpg
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	5761

Name:	DSC_0274.jpg
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	5762
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Incoming Magpie Geese.

Name:	DSC_0414.jpg
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	5764

Egrets on the move.

Name:	DSC_0454.jpg
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	5765

Cheers, Brad.

Comment

You are going to get me in trouble Gary, I am supposed to be tiling the toilet floor this morning

Both these are taken with the Tamron 150-600 @600mm, with a flash fitted with a Better Beamer flash extender.

Brown Cuckoo Dove.

Name:	DSC_0801.jpg
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	5768

Name:	DSC_0817.jpg
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	5769
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

All excellent photos Ironwood. Good colour and all well framed.

Comment

• Gary H
                Gary H commented
                Editing a comment
                More great photos, Brad. Now get back to the tiling and don't bring me into your domestics - I can get in enough trouble all on my own. :-)
                Mind sharing what lens and settings were used in the flying black duck? it's great!

Cheers, Gary

Originally posted by Isac View Post
              All excellent photos Ironwood. Good colour and all well framed.
              Thanks Isac, glad you like them Mate.

Originally posted by Gary H View Post
              More great photos, Brad. Now get back to the tiling and don't bring me into your domestics - I can get in enough trouble all on my own. :-)
              Mind sharing what lens and settings were used in the flying black duck? it's great!

Cheers, Gary
              Thanks Gary.
              I tried to take the blame for not getting the tiling finished, but she would have none of it, said you were to blame What more could I do Mate ?

The details for those Ducks in flight photos are = Nikon D7100, Tamron 150-600, @600mm, 1/1250th second, f8, iso560.

I set my camera on manual with auto iso, that way I can set the shutter and aperture that I think is best for the task at hand, and the auto iso takes care of getting the exposure right.
              I also use the exposure compensation button to compensate for a light or dark subject. With the Egrets, I used -2 exp. comp. because the camera exposes for the scene and if I had it set to 0, the birds would have been overexposed, with it set to -2, the background ended up a bit too dark, but the birds were exposed more correctly.
              I notice on the Duck shots I had it set to -1 ( probably for something I saw before the Duck came into view, and I didn't have time to change it back again ), it would have been better if I had it set to 0, as the Duck was a bit underexposed, and I had to lighten it in post processing ( I used control points in Nik Viveza to lighten the Duck and leave the background alone. )
              Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I appreciate you trying to take the blame, but I will cop it sweet (especially when I'm two thousand clicks away). And thanks for the details of those shots. My problem is that by the time I have done all those settings the duck would be somewhere south of Brisbane, or on a plate in a Chinese restaurant. . I'll just have to practice more. Meanwhile, good luck with the tiling and give my apologies to the Managing Director

Cheers, Gary

Comment

• Ironwood
                  Ironwood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They say practice makes perfect Gary. Getting birds in flight takes a bit of practice to get it right, but sometimes you can get lucky, just need to give it a try.

Don't worry mate, the floor got finished in the end. Now just got to tile the walls , that should get me into a bit more trouble

This is heavily edited in Nik, was going to post it in the Nik thread, but seeing as we are doing Birds this week, I'll throw it in here....

Name:	DSC_0825.jpg
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	5794
                Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Dear Gary, have been very ill this week with a bad case of flu. So have not had much inclination to do anything. I must compliment everyone on the fabulous bird snaps.So many different varieties and all so bright and clear. Goodluck you have a difficult decision to make.I have added two of my oldies which of course are not eligible. regards Dee Kay.

Name:	k.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	5803

Name:	q.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	5804

Comment

What a week! The competition is really fierce and the quality is great. Almost a toss up to decide the winner. Isac's Cygnet was about as close as you can get and still stay in one piece. And his 28 Parrott was another great shot. Then we have Ironwood with a huge variety of birds, including more egrets than I have seen at the one time. The heavily edited swallow (?) given the Nik treatment was most unusual; more like a pencil drawing - very effective, Brad. But I have chosen as this week's winner, because of the difficulty of "shooting" a moving target, Ironwood's flying black duck. Congratulations Brad you get the diamond mine as well as the gold medal. And also to pick next week's topic and winner.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

• dee kay
                      dee kay commented
                      Editing a comment
                      congrats Ironwood. Those two were my favourites.Dee Kay.

Thanks Gary and Dee Kay.
                    I thought Isac's 28 Parrot would have been a worthy winner, but I'll accept the prizes with thanks.

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather Dee Kay, I hope you are feeling better and back to normal soon.
                    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
                    X