Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 11 # 10 Panning

Project 11 # 10 Panning
    This week's challenge will close 8.00pm on Sunday 1st January 2017. Your challenge is to capture an image depicting movement by using the panning technique. The objective is to present the moving object in relative sharpness at the expense of other elements.

For those that are not sure what is going on here I will list the basic rule/ideas.

This is a friendly competition/project with the prize each week of fame and the chance to select the next weeks theme and winner.
    Each week a new thread with be started to announce the new theme and post your pics.
    Post two pics(or one if that is all you can muster) on the theme. The photos do not need to be award wining photos they can even be from a phone or any camera the idea is to take of photo of your interpretation of the theme not get published in a photography journal.
    The theme should be able to be photographed around the average home so no themes like water falls etc. this way it should only take people a few minutes to participate.
    The photos need to be taken within the week of the theme as the idea is to get you out there snapping not trolling through old images. You can post old images for inspiration but not as part of the comp/Project.

If I have missed anything please post it so we can sort it out. Remember this is meant to be fun and there are no sheep stations up for grabs.
    I would encourage those watching from the sidelines to have a go, there is nothing to lose, you can only gain.

To make it easy for the person choosing next weeks theme, just cut and paste this whole post into your new thread, and change the dates and and theme to suit.

To get the ball rolling, the following Lyrebird image is an example of the technique to be used in this challenge. Some other subjects you might consider is a car driving past in the street, riding a bicycle, a child on a swing, etc.

Enjoy the challenge.

Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lytrebird.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	3894

Comment

Just remember to slow down your shutter speed or the background may not be sufficiently blurred to give the impression of movement.

Comment

Further to John's comments, The lyrebird image was tahen at 1/125th sec @ f5.6.

Apart from determining the amount of background blur, the shutter speed also allows you to control the level of blur on the main subject; e.g. if photographing a bicycle rider at a slow shutter speed , the image will have much more blur in the legs which may be an artistic feature. On the other hand a higher shutter speed will (generally) produce less blur in both the backgound and the main subject which can be an effective technique to improve the visual separation between the subject and background.

As a rule of thumb I would typically use shutter speeds between 1/60th sec and 1/2th sec

Bob
        Last edited by oldgreybeard; 28th December 2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Suggested camera settings for panning with car driving at 60kph :
          Auto Focus - Continuous
          Focus Mode - single spot
          Manual exposure or Shutter Priority - 1/60th sec or 1/ 100th sec (aperture and ISO to suit lighting conditions)
          Focal lenght - 50 - 150mm depending on your distance to the car - aim for the car to fill 40 - 50% of the width of the image (landscape mode)
          You can also experiment with on camera flash and rear curtain sync.

Tips for shooting:
          Car should be traveling at right angle to the lens direction - if you are facing north the car should be travelling east - west.
          Focus and track on a small high contrast element in the image - it is much easier for the auto focus to lock onto a high contrast element
          Use a tripod or monopod to assist with tracking or lock your elbows into your sides and swivel from the hips
          Start tracking before the car reaches the point where you want to release the shutter and continue to track until after the shutter is closed again
          Take plenty of shots and varying the shutter speed and the focal length (easy if using a zoom lens)

Tomorrow's post will include tips for post-processing your panned image.

Bob
          Last edited by oldgreybeard; 28th December 2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Post-procrssing Panned images.
            It is not uncommon for the streaky background to be over-powering. This can be easily corrected in photoshop, but don't be tempted to apply gaussian blur to tone down these areas. Gaussian blur will more likely ruin the streaky backgroound which was developed to give the impression of movement.

1. To start, I will create a selection which closely encomapsses the main subject or the offending background areas. Save these selections as we will use them to create layer masks.

2. To tone down the background I use the HSL adjustment layer with a layer mask to restrict the saturation adjustment to the background areas. Occassionally it is necessary to also adjust the luminous value.

3. If necessary, I will apply a curves adjustment layer with a mask to restrict adjustments to the main subject and adjust the curve to provide a slight boost to the contrast.

4. At this point the image can be converted to 8 bits / channel and resized for uploading to the forum ( Image -> Image size: Resolution = 96 ppi and set the longest side to 1024 px)

5. Due to the file size reduction, in my case from 206MB to 2MB, the image will need some output sharpening. I normally apply Unsharp Mask - amount = 100% with a radius of .7px.

6. Save the image as a .jpg image.

Don't forget to upload the image and let us all see the result of your endeavours. The competition closes 8.00pm 1st January, 2017

Bob

Comment

It's been a pretty hectic week for me and I haven't yet had a chance to get out with the camera.
              Here's one I did earlier, and put up in another thread.
              If you zoom in real close on the young lad, he's not too sharp. This was among my first serious tries at panning.

f22, 1/16thsec.

Name:	Panning.jpg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	3900

Comment

You could cheat and do it in photoshop.
                I did this in 10 minutes, just a rough go at it.

http://www.lightstalking.com/add-pan...fect-photosho/

Name:	Day-1.jpg
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	3911

Name:	pan.jpg
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	3912

Comment

• oldgreybeard
                  oldgreybeard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice try John, but shouldn't the car be moving?

I have never really tried panning before, except for birds in flight and Kangaroos on the hop.

I stopped beside the road today and gave it a go on some passing cars, not real successful, could do with a bit more practice, but I doubt I will get another chance before Saturday.

Name:	DSC_3081.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	3916

Name:	DSC_3084.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	3917

Cheers, Brad.

Comment

John picked a very difficult location with little texture in the foreground and immediately behind the boy on the scooter so it was very difficult to obtain any sense of movement in the lower half of the image. On the other hand Brad has achieved reasonable motion in both the foregroung and background.

For this reason I declare the winner to be Brad and ask him to define the next competition.

Congratulations

Bob

Comment

Congrats Brad, good result for your first try at panning.
                    I've set up a new page for Project 52 - 2017. As 2017 finishes in a Monday I suggest that we run the challenges till Monday nights, what does everyone else think?

Comment

Originally posted by oldgreybeard View Post
                      John picked a very difficult location with little texture in the foreground and immediately behind the boy on the scooter so it was very difficult to obtain any sense of movement in the lower half of the image. On the other hand Brad has achieved reasonable motion in both the foregroung and background.

For this reason I declare the winner to be Brad and ask him to define the next competition.

Congratulations

Bob
                      Thanks Bob. I will have a think of a new topic.
                      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy John View Post
                        Congrats Brad, good result for your first try at panning.
                        I've set up a new page for Project 52 - 2017. As 2017 finishes in a Monday I suggest that we run the challenges till Monday nights, what does everyone else think?
                        Thanks John. I am willing to give Monday a go. When we were doing it on Thursdays, I found it a lot better than the Saturday finish.
                        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
                        X